Who else wants some unusual gift ideas for that special someone?
Are you looking for something inexpensive, personal, and can be pretty useful? Give a domain name.
Surprise somebody! Pick up a gift now from a web domain registration service.
Here are the top ten reasons to give a domain name as a present:
- It is easier to find a good domain name than an iPhone 5.
- It’s hypoallergenic.
- No assembly required. (No instructions in foreign languages to fumble through.)
- Save a tie! Your dad will be ecstatic when he doesn’t see that rectangular box under the tree.
- Save a tree — you don’t have to wrap it!
- Give someone the secret identity they’ve always wanted.
- No matter how hard he tries, the Grinch can’t steal a domain name.
- You won’t shoot your eye out with it!
- It can be passed down from generation to generation like a fruitcake.
- You can buy it at 11:59 p.m, the day before the special day and still have it in time.
Owning a domain only gives you the rights to the name, e.g., johnandmary.com. It is like a declaration that the name is yours. You can go to any of the web domain registration companies such as Godaddy or Namecheap to purchase a domain name.
More Gifts Ideas
But if you actually choose to use the domain name for a web site, e-mail, and so on, you need to have the domain hosted. Owning one with out hosting it is called “parking” the domain. Less than $10 a month gets you hosting for that domain. We have been using Hostgator for more than 8 years and it has been the best one out of 30+ hosting companies that we have tried. So bottom line, $120 (or less) buys a hosted domain for a year.
A domain is so techie that you may want something solid to go together with it. Plus the apparent choice could be a set of beautiful business cards with the new domain details on them. VistaPrint will print 250 business cards in color for 20 bucks (or absolutely free for new customers, with a under $10 shipping-handling fee).
Where to Buy
There are actually about 70 gazillion web sites that let you register domain names, and yet another 70 gazillion that may host that name for you. And there is a lot of overlap. There is a huge number of of sites that will help you find a hosting company; check out Hosting Comparison and Multiple Domain Hosting.
If you do not have the time to research for the best domain registration company or web hosting, then here is our recommendations:
- Hostgator for most comprehensive DIY hosting including Sitebuilders with 4000+ unique templates, one-click-installer for lots of web applications, shopping cart, forum, and much more. Click here to try for a penny.
- Weebly for simple website builder with beautiful templates. Nothing fancy but straightforward easy-to-use website creation tool. Click here to try for free.
Domain Name Ideas
What do you do if the name you want is taken? Be creative. Change the word order. Use .net, .org, .name, & others. Try synonyms. Here are more ideas:
- Use names: www.PetersPlace.com or www.DawsonsCreek.com
- Small business owner name: www.JohnPlumbing.com
- Use nicknames: www.RockRobbert.com or www.ChefCornwall.com
- Incorporate a persons interests: www.GolferAndrew.com
- Incorporate a quirks: www.SreaminJessy.com
- Incorporate job: www.JillsALawyer.com or www.DrWilliamStevens.com
- Make a statement: www.ILoveLucy.com or www.BewareOfObama.com
- Name of pet: www.DorothysDad.com
Here is little-known secret to save money on domain names registration.
Network Solutions is one of the best domain name registration services so act now, so you do not need to miss the domain name(s) you have always wanted.
Network Solutions is the firm that pioneered the service for creating and acquiring specific “web addresses” (aka domain name registration) is announcing a 70% Discount for domain names registration.
Yes, you heard it right amigos! A 70% Discount is given for any Domain Registration. It is very important to register your domain. And here is a reason why:
Your domain name — how the online world finds you.
A domain name, or Web address, is an address where you can be found online. It is how you will express yourself through email or your website and it is what customers think of when trying to find you.
This offer ends on Dec 31, 2011. Act now and do not regret it later.